Saturday, 26 September 2015

5's: 5 books EVERYONE should read

This weeks 5's installment is exactly what it says on the tin. 5 books I think everyone should read. Not 5 books everyone should read, but what I think they should. Everybody comes to reading in different ways, For me, my first few years as an avid reader were strongly influenced by Science Fantasy because that was what I was exposed to at the time. 

I acknowledge that this list, therefore, won't suit everyone. Nonetheless, they're all books I think people should invest the time in reading anyway, as they are all brilliant in their own way.


  1. The Pawn of Prophecy, by David Eddings: Across which, it tells the tale of a farmboy, naturally  guided by prophecy, who has to destroy a dark God. He has his trusty companions and new found magic at hand, can he do it?  It's the first book of Edding's classic Belgariad series, but this is THE book for me. The one which hooked me at the tender of age of 8 and created a reading monster. It made it onto the list, partly because it holds such a dear heart and partly because it is a beautiful example of the Science Fantasy Saga. Take one simple boy, add in a dash of magic, a touch of prophecy and a big bad guy. It's not the best book I have ever read, nor the worst, and it's hardly the most innovative but it fulfills that formula in such a pleasant way that you quickly become entranced. For me it is the perfect introduction into Science Fantasy and that is the real reason why its on the list.
  2. The Handmaids Tale, by Margaret Atwood: From Science Fantasy to Science Fiction. The Handmaidens Tale is a bleak novel set in a dystopian future. The main character, Offred, is a handmaid in the new society who's only purpose is reproduction. Through her eyes, we view the transitions to the new regime. It amazes both me and Offred how quickly people adjust, and how some people simply can't. The story made it onto this list because it is brilliantly written. Whenever I read any book set in a dystopian future (I've read a few now haha) it's to this book I find myself thinking and comparing it to.
  3. Bitten, by Kelley Armstrong: Elena, years after being bitten by her fiance Clay, is struggling to live a human life anymore. That alone had me hooked. Elena, is an imperfect, female werewolf who has her own flaws and is still a strong woman and thats why I love this book. It's the first of Armstrong's Woman of the Otherworld series, and sets a lot of the groundwork for later books. It's a violent and crafty series and this book starts it brilliantly. For anyone wanting to read Supernatural fantasy but fed up of a male dominated power set up, then this is a must read.
  4. The Killing Floor, by Lee Child: Not a typical book for me, but this is the first of Child's Jack Reacher novels. It's exceptionally well written and it introduces Reacher and his mindset very well without telling us much about his history. I've since read almost all of Child's novels and enjoyed them for varying reasons. Yet his first is definitely up there with the best for the way it hooks the reader, and the enigmatic character Reacher. I chose it for list because it was book which took me out my nice fantasy comfort zone and I ended up really enjoying it. I feel that it'd be a winner with anyone looking for something a bit more gritty and dark.
  5. The Book Thief, by MarKus Zusak: I received this as a secret Santa present about 6-7 years ago (still don't know who sent it!) and just fell in love. I find many things about the Second World War and seeing it through the innocent eyes of 9 year old Liesel. It is spectacularly penned from the viewpoint of Death and had me in tears at several points. On a slight side note it should probably go onto my "Things that make me Cry list. Nonetheless its a dark book that will definitely set the old brain to thinking.
There you have it! 

5 brilliant books, 1 list. 

If you've read any before, do you agree with the reasons why they've made it onto my list?
If you haven't read any before and you DO read them , what were your impressions?

Abi x