Friday, 11 September 2015

Progression and Overload

Progression and overload

During my time at Uni the most useful exercise principles I learnt were those of progression and overload.

The lecturers taught us these in conjunction with strengthening muscles. The idea is to strengthen you have to overload a muscle, fatiguing it, to cause a cellular change. The more you do the stronger that muscle it will get until doing the same exercise isn’t enough anymore, you have to progress and make it harder.

So using the two principles together makes you stronger.

Why am I mentioning this?

Today instead of reading before work I decided to add in a little weights routine. I used to use the weights pretty regularly, back when I went the gym but haven’t used any in quite a while. I’m not really sure why, but mostly because I’ve been busy lately and lazy in the free time I have. I have to admit I was feeling a bit anxious about starting again and have to work my strength levels back up. Yet I surprised myself and actually really enjoyed the workout!

It was during the workout that I realised that those some two principles I utilised in exercise could apply to my life.

 In a metaphorical sense, of course.

I realised that even though things aren’t great at the moment I can progress forward. I can use this hard point to make myself stronger. 
Even though feels like I’m overloaded I’m going to come out the other side better for it.
I’m going to keep struggling on, write the hell out of this dissertation and I know going to feel great and strong when it’s done.

So because of this I’ve been looking at a few things that I can begin challenging myself with. I’m considering signing up for next year’s Chester half marathon!

Are there any challenges you can recommend for me? 

Abi x

Ps I really advocate the benefits of strength training; it’s really good when used regularly within a mixed exercise programme