Sunday, 13 September 2015

Things That Make Me Cry

So I was reading Xleptodactylous  blog and came across her post about  Things That Make Me Cry and it got me inspired to do my own version. 

Unfortunately, I actually found that we had quite a few in common! Luckily (or unluckily depending how you see it) I cry quite a bit. There’s no shame in it, it’s an emotional release that can be cathartic. So I have a few others up my sleeve to discuss.

So I’ve split my post into 3 sections, things I had in common with the original post, a books section and finally a film section.

Things in Common:
The Shepherd’s Crown by Terry Pratchett- I cried through most of the first 100 pages. Then again at the end, because why not? It’s sad.
Pokemon the first movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back- those heartbroken tears of Pikachu never fail to set me off
Buffy the vampire slayer-Buffy’s second death is one of my favourite tv moments and yes, it does produce a few tears
Spooks, while it didn’t actually make me cry I felt it should join this little list because it damn near did. So it’s on here, for trying.

Books
A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson

A Memory of Light (Book 14 The Wheel of Time) by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson
 –This book made me cry a number of times. The fourteenth installment in a series that has spanned decades. This book has a lot of meaning for me. Stand out points  dor tearsinclude Siuan and Gareth’s death, Egwenes talk with Rand. The second especially got to me because it wasn’t a point I expected myself to cry at. So when I did it was pretty overwhelming

Rage of a Demon King (Book 3 The Serpentwar Saga) by Raymond E Feist- Feist’s Riftwar series is a sprawling set of books that covers several generations of characters and sagas including the Serpentwar saga. One of my favourite characters is that of Jimmy the Hand, who later becomes Duke James. This book gets a mention on this list for the beautiful death of the Duke and his Duchess as the city he loves is finally overrun. In those final moments the two share a telepathic link and it’s at this point I become inconsolable. It’s both poignant and devastating.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, by J.K.Rowling- any of the many Harry Potter fans out there won’t be surprised to know which character I cried at (Dumbledore, of course) but it wasn’t for the reason you might expect. Scroll back 2010, 15 year old me had just received my first ever MP3 player. It was so cool but it only came with two songs, one of which I didn’t like. The other song was played on repeat for weeks before I worked out how to put more songs on! The song in question was “Yesterday once more” by the Carpenters, which is a pretty sad song. During this time I was reading Harry Potter and the song just really got me emotional, so when Dumbledore I was just...gone...tears everywhere.


Films

Atonement- This film is a little bit dark but has a beautiful twist that never fails to crease me up. I used to watch it practically monthly in my teens just for its cry-producing qualities alone.

UP!- I confess, I’ve yet to make it past the first 10 minutes because I’m so upset I usually turn it off. 

The Boy in the Striped pyjamas- it’s strange, I’ve read the book but it didn’t make me cry. The way the film ends is amazing and justmakes me cry buckets.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1- yep Dobby, nothing more needs saying.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2-I really though Fred’s death was understated in the film and a bit lost in the grand battle scenes, despite this the tears appeared. I think it’s the thought of the surviving twin that really sets me off.


So there you go! That’s quite a list! Now I’m off for my own little crying jag, let me know if you agreed with any of my tearjerkers. If you do your own list, let me know because I’d love to see it!


Abi x
p.s. head to Xleptodactylous for the original post!