Saturday, 3 October 2015

5's: 5 films my parents MADE me watch...

...that I actually LOVED! 
This list has 5 films my parents couldn't let me live without seeing and it turns out they were right!
  1. The Life of Brian (1979)// My Mum couldn't decide whether this was suitable for me to watch (age 10) and I distinctly remember her saying "F*** it, it's funny" and that was that. It's by far my favourite of the Monty Python films and I loved the many subtle and not-so-subtle jokes throughout it. Whether or not I always look on the bright side, I know I'm going to have this song stuck in my head the rest of today!
  2. The Long Kiss Goodnight(1996)// I remember my Dad putting this on one weekend, after me disdaining that it sounded boring. Famous last words. This is one bad ass film about a woman with amnesia who starts to find out about her past. It's absolutely brilliant, and I well and truly ate my words!
  3. The 51st State (2001)//The culprit this time? My Stepdad, insisted I watch this about 10 years ago, purely to show the shots that were taken from Birkenhead side of the Mersey. It's a film about a drug dealer who flies to Liverpool to try and sell a formula for a brand new high. Lots of randomness and a shit load of Scouse accents, what is not to love?
  4. From Dusk Till Dawn (1996)// Okay, so picture me and my little brother (2 1/2 yrs younger so not that little) perusing our Fathers film collection when this comes out. Dad immediately says, YES you are watching that NOW! I pretty much ignored the first 15 mins or so, just picking up the odd detail, then ALL FRIGGING HELL BREAKS FREE.Like a stripper bar suddenly gets overrun with VAMPIRES. Dad conveniently didn't tell the two of us about this addition to the film and laughed, a lot at us.. Its mental and weird, but I loved this film! I'll admit I paid a lot more attention the second time round viewing...
  5. The Fifth Element (1997)// Saved the best til last. The FIFTH element for the FIFTH choice. Yep, I'm that cheesy! This film is one I will always rewatch, it includes ancient prophecies, orange hair, ruins and cool as' feck alien opera singers. Yep, ALL in one film. It's an absolute mish mash of a science fiction film but it also has genuinely funny moments and is a wee bit heartwarming.
I'm a little sad that of these 5 films I only have The Fifth Element in my personal collection. Shall remedy that shortly...
Abi x

P.s. have you seen any of these 5? What would you put on this list?