Wednesday, 11 November 2015

Books vs Their Adaptations: Controversial choices...

It's no secret that I love to read (What do you mean you didn't know?)and when Patrick Rothfuss (Author of the Kingkiller Chronicles) recently announced his beloved series was going to be adapted, well, I had a mixed reaction. It was the same reaction I have whenever I hear a book is going to be adapted in some way. Incredibly excited, because how cool is it to see your favourite stories in a new way? Then the flip side, incredibly worried: what if it's bad? It looks like we'll be getting a movie, TV series and a game! Hell yeah! If it works...
Fortunately, Pat Rothfuss loves his books more than anyone else and at this early stage, it appears that Liongate our giving him the chance to have a big influence over the potential works. 

As exciting as this is (and it is!) it got me thinking about other adaptations, and how they've fared during the transformation. Normally I'd spout that the books are always better but are they? 
Well not always. Sometimes I prefer the adaptations, others the books. 
Who wins? 
I had a good rattle around my brain and these are what I came up with:

Book winners
  1. The Wheel of Time (WOT) by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson// This is cheating a bit. There was a lot of funny business regarding the TV rights to the series which resulted in a 1-hour pilot being produced. Get the full story here. Frankly, it was utter shite, that I hated absolutely. The books definitely win this one.
  2. Dresden files by Jim Butcher// I am addicted to this series. It was a bit of a random find for me but I adore it now. Sadly, when it was adapted into a TV show a few years back it never really took off. RIP dreams.
  3. The Wardstone Chronicles by Joseph Delaney// This is a series I started reading solely because i loved the covers. It's dark and twisted and full of monsters. The film? Well, I took one look at the advert and just went Nahhhh Mate.
  4. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde// I'm not a big fan of classics, in general, but this book is brill and I adore it nonetheless. The film adaptation? Not so much...
  5. World War Z by Max Brooks// I did like this film (mostly because it just played Muse the whole time) but as an adaptation it severely disappointed me. The brutal depth and harsh beauty found within the book just wasn't there.
Adaptation winners
  1. Atonement by Ian McEwan// I'll be honest, I haven't read the book. I love this film and it's magical ability to make me instantly cry. In fact, it made it onto my list of things that make me cry. I really can't be bothered to read what I'm sure is a decent book, and you can't make me!
  2. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte// I'm putting this out there, I just didn't get the book. I read it and yup that's all I can say. My bad. The adaptation in question? Well maybe I'm stretching it out a bit, but it has got to be Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights. It's warbly and high and I love screeching along to it. So there, suck it up.
  3. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen// I think I spent half my teenage years watching the film, gazing in adoration at Keira Knightley. The book? Well, I finished it. That's about the best I can say really. I just found it so hard to settle into this book that I never enjoyed it. I made myself finish it purely by strength of will. 
  4. Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien// Okayyyy, I'm a bad geek. I admit it here for all to see; that I just didn't like this book. I made it about through the Fellowship of the Ring and the Two Towers and threw in the towel part way through the Return of the King in defeat. 

Draw
A few books I struggled to decide which I really liked better and just concluded a draw:
  1. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling// Yep both are good. For different reasons but I love them both.
  2. Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin // I've loved this series for a long, long time and it makes me super happy to watch the TV series. I get that its deviating a fair bit from the books at this point but I don't mind because it's brilliant watching.
  3. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien// Wellll, I know this is inconsistent buuuut, yep, I loved The Hobbit. Hated the trilogy, loved the prequel... just go with it. Again I know there were big changes in the film adaptations but I really enjoyed them, so no complaints.
Woah! Quite a long post here... I've come to the realisation that although I'd automatically say I'd prefer the books, it's more varied than I'd guessed. I've also reaffirmed that classics are just not my cup of tea... 

Do you agree with my choices? Are there any that you would add?

Abi x