Wednesday, 16 March 2016

Book review 6// Calamity by Brandon Sanderson

It's been a while since I've done a non-Infinite Variety book review. So I decided to pick an absolute stormer!
To take us back a bit, I received the first book in the Reckoners trilogy, Steelheart, from a friend for Christmas about 2 years ago now. I read it in just a few hours. 
I picked up book 2, Firefight, last year. I hadn't even known there was a second book, if not for  a quick wander through the bookstore.
By book 3, Calamity, I was clued up. I kept an eye out for it, and picked it up pretty quickly.

Now for the review: I'll admit that I'm a big of fan of Sanderson's writing style. It's simultaneously very descriptive but also very clear. The only time I've ever felt disappointed with him is when he assisted on the last Wheel of Time books, but that's an extraneous circumstance. Calamity was another classic piece of work.
The progression in the story felt very natural and the charachters remained true to themselves. My only bugbear was that the ending didn't feel quite right for me. I'm not entirely sure how to describe it. I don't mean the books climax, I thought that was spectacular! But rather the last few pages just felt a bit off. 
Perhaps its just me, having read the book too fast. I don't know, maybe if I reread it this sense will go away.
For now, however, it's recieving a solid 4.5/5 from me.
Abi x