Tuesday, 22 March 2016

Infinite Variety 2016: 38, 14 and 106

Couple of quick reviews for ya! So Buckle up ladies, gents and others!

  • No.38 Persuasion by Jane Austen: Thankfully I read this way back when I was 15. I was in a different place then, a different book club. I read it, cover to cover and frankly hated it. It was pure strength of will and my wanting to show off to a fave teacher that even got me that far. Even though I can barely remember much about it, I absolutely refuse to even read it again, based on the brain pain it caused all those years ago. Its a straight 0/5 from me. Classics 0, Abi 1.
  • No.14 Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier: In direct contrast to the above book, I really enjoyed Rebecca. I loved the subtlety the book displayed. Factors like never learning the authors true name, the constant presence of Rebecca throughout, and the overarching effect of Manderley itself. very good 4/5.
  • No.106 The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens: I've read a few Dickens but not many. Initially I was looking forward to reading this. However I found it rather underwhelming, in the end. I read it all, but it just never really grabbed me. Decent quality of writing as to be expected so its gets a 1/5.
Just a few wee reviews, I really need to have a catch up on my read:review ratio for this challenge! 
Abi x