Tuesday, 10 January 2017

Book review// The Dry by Jane Harper

Heyo! It seems like a long time since I last posted a book review. Which I find strange, because I certainly haven't stopped reading books, just haven't been reviewing them. It's something I miss, and really want to integrate a bit more back on the blog. 
 Today's offering is The Dry by Jane Harper, which I was sent for free to review as part of a book tour. Perfect opportunity to get my old reviewing muscles back in shape. 
The book is set in drought ridden Kiewarra, Australia. We meet the antagonist at a funeral of his childhood friend. A friend who has just murdered his child and wife and then turned the gun on himself. Pretty gritty set up to start with. 
Our guy turns out to be a cop( finance division, not homicide) who sets out to determine if his friends death is really what it seems. Underlying this is a massive tragedy many years earlier. 
I won't tell you much more because hey, I ain't no spoiler. I'll hold my hands up and say that I enjoyed reading it. 
Enough to give it a solid 8/10 rating. I did end up guessing the twist in advance sadly( no surprises that there is a twist right??). This just pipped it from a 9/10 for me sadly. 

On the other hand the descriptions in the book make it seem so real. I love how Harper has integrated the drought into the book, sharing that desolation with the reader. If you don't think that's impressive I want you to consider this: I live in the UK and have plenty of experience of rain, but nothing of extreme heat and dryness. I really felt I gained an understanding of that concept through the writing and descriptive work put in. Essentially, it impressed me.

So there you have it! The first review of 2017 and hopefully first of many more.

Abi X
What should I review next??